Friday, December 5, 2008

Chicken with Mushrooms and Peas

Meal: Dinner
Menu: Chicken with Mushrooms and Peas
Recipe Source: Everyday with Rachael Ray (with Becky's take on it here and there)

I made this the first time several weeks ago, not sure how the kids would like it. They loved it! It's now on the list of family favorites, and we had it again a few days ago. Yummy, very simple, good for (when you take the skin off, as I do) and the bonus - it's a fairly inexpensive meal to make. Win, win, win, win.

8 chicken thighs (I actually use 4 or 5 chicken quarters, separate them, and remove all the skin)
2 TB extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon fresh thyme (I just eyeball an appropriate amount of dried thyme...enough to give it a nice speckled look)
salt and pepper
8 oz mushrooms, halved (I use more...because I love 'em)
1 onion, coarsely chopped
one 10-ounce package of frozen peas (Again, I use more - 16 oz does our family a little better)

1. Position a rack in the upper third of the over and preheat to 400 degrees. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the chicken with 1 TB olive oil, the thyme and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Roast for 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the mushrooms, onion, peas and the remaining 1 TB olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Add the vegetables to the chicken and cook for 25 minutes more.

No comments: